Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mother's Day to remember...

My emotions are over-flowing today.  I knew when I got home that I would have to write a little in order to process all of them.



Some of you know that my son's family moved this weekend.  It has literally been a whirlwind event. 

He has been the Tourism Director in our county for about 5 years.   Due to a better opportunity and career move, He applied for a position in Knoxville, TN, (along with other places), was offered the position out of 257 applicants, and within just about 3 weeks...they moved there.  Way "too much, too fast" to figure it out for me, not to mention that during that 3 weeks, I was out of town 10 days...so it has been a whirlwind for me for sure.  Seemed so fast, but they had been in nightly prayer about this possibility of a move for about a year now. 


We left on Thursday for Knoxville.  I rode with my daughter-in-law and the grandbabies, while Kent drove the moving truck and pulled the car and Robb drove the truck.  It's a 7 hour drive from here to there.  We got them moved in in 2 days and spent yesterday emptying more boxes and decorating...the fun stuff!  We really worked well together to get it all done. ..and filled a couple of dumpsters with boxes and trash! Look at the wall hangings for the Little Diva's rooms I painted... such fun!


The new home is lovely.  Until they sell their home here, they decided they needed to rent there.  They found a great family apartment (1300 sq ft) and the amenities are great.  Two parks for the girls to play in, a must,  a swimming pool, tennis courts...the works.  We live in a very rural area and they are definitely in the big city now.  Every place you would want to shop or dine-in, is literally at their finger tips.  Why, even the largest Mall in East TN is less than 3 miles from their new home!  Trust me, when you've lived in an area that is an hour's drive from everywhere...you appreciate those niceties!  


So today, on Mother's Day, it was hard to leave my son, daughter-in-law and precious grandbabies behind.  Knowing I would not get to see them tomorrow, or have Sunday evening "Sloppy Joe's" together as usual.  A new experience for me. 


My daughter lives about 1 1/2 hours from us.  She called several times our way home to check on us.  Everyone knew this would be a hard day.  I called to wish my own precious Mother a Happy Day today, but I'm pretty sure she didn't have a clue who I was, but she was very pleasant and wished my family a Happy Mother's Day.  I could hear Beth in the background coaching her and trying to "jog" her memory, but to no avail. 


But, that is the circle of life.  The Bible says..."a man shall leave his Mother and Father"...and that prophecy is true.  As a parent, I am so thrilled of Robb's success.  WOW!...what an amazing opportunity.  We would never want anything less than God's plan.  And they have followed God's guidance.  (My daughter in law blogs, check out their story of this adventure.) 

God is amazing...he never fails.  I've had the blessing of being in attendance at our grandbabies births, dropping by to say "Hi" and get a quick snuggle in, or dropping by to push them on the swing or having them at our home and having a Swan Princess Parade to the pond...great memories of  times passed...but forever in my heart.  I thank God for this opportunity...being the Mother, Mother-in-law and Grandma ZuZu and for all the great things God has planned for the future...and HE does have plans.

6 comments:

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

I knew it was hard on you, sis, so I kept my comments in check when you'd call.

I know it will be hard these next few days, weeks, even months, but eventually it will be part of your life....but you will be traveling more to visit than you realize right now...you just will!!

Love you Sue for the person you are and for the kind of mother and grandmother you are that makes you so much more special!

~Beth

Beth E. said...

That had to be tough! I have two college boys, and it was difficult to let them go when they went away to school. Our oldest will be away this summer, too, as he has a summer job in another state.

It will be tough when they move away for good. Cutting those apron strings is very hard...I'm thinking of you and saying a prayer for you.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I love your sister, Beth - such a lovely name :-) - and I pray for your family and your precious little mother.

Blessings,
Beth E.

Sue Ellen said...

Thanks to the "Beth's"...LOL! ...love it! Yes. It is so hard. He went away (5 hours) to college, but that was before adulthood and the addition of wifey and kiddo's. So very different now. But it is going to be really good for them. Thanks for "feeling" it with me! ~~~Sue

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My heart is with you Sue Ellen, as I know this had to be an incredibly difficult few weeks for you. Letting go is never easy, and yet it seems to be one of the most valuable tenets of the Christian faith journey.

Prayers and peace~elaine

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

First time here today and now you are in my prayers. I know it will be a sad time for you . . . but God will make a way for you to continue to mom and grandmom to these wonderful children. Glad I stop by.
Blessings,
Bren

Sue Ellen said...

Thanks so much for you concern and kind words Bren and Elaine...I'm actually doing so much better than I had anticipated. Being super busy at work probably helps!