Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Hate Machine

The treadmill.  I can't believe I spent Christmas money on this contraption about 3 years ago.  Thought I always wanted one. And did.  I've used it seldom in the past years.  But, due to the horrific heat lately, I decided that if I were ever going to start walking for exercise again...it would have to be on the treadmill.

See, I joined, no re-joined WW last week.  This is not a new experience for me.  I've joined several times.  I'm determined that this time will be a new experience...so far it has been. 

I joined an online challenge on the WW site.  Walking...30 Min's 2 times a week and 45 Min's 4 times a week.  I really want to succeed at this.  I use to be an avid walker.  Usually 4 miles per day.  I loved it.  No, craved it.  It was very addictive.  And satisfying.  I couldn't go to sleep at night until I got my walk in after work.  I got out of the habit in 2005 after my hysterectomy.  Two weeks post-op I decided I could walk and started out on my usual trek to realize about 1/2 mile into it that I was in no shape to do this yet.  I thought I would have to crawl back to the house.  The MD informed me that I wasn't allowed to walk for exercise until 8 weeks!!!  OOPS!!!  And haven't ever been able to get back to it.  Good habits are hard to start and easy to stop....

But, back to the treadmill story.  So, I have it set up downstairs in the finished part of the basement.  Usually, it is out of sight, out of mind.  Right now, it is 10 pm and it is 80 degrees outside.  I could walk in that temp...but like I said...its 10pm!  Not so scared of peeps as much as I'm scared of critters.  Remember...I live in the country!  So, I'm walking on the dreadmill...I mean treadmill!

Each night, I've watched TV while walking.  And to be bearable, I've taken a break after 15 or 20 Min's to break it up and make it doable!  And I've been hating it!  Forcing myself to take it one step at a time.  But, while walking tonight, I notice the time seemed to be going by more quickly?!?!?!  Could I be creating a new habit again...?  Yea!...maybe a SPARK is starting.....I sure hope so!

(PS:  If my treadmill were to break...I would be upset...so please don't think I'm ungrateful!)

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Sue Ellen, I've enjoyed reading some of your blog. So sorry that you lost your mother recently. I lost mine in 1991 (and Daddy in 1969) --and still miss them both tremendously at times. The 'little' things will be what will get you.. Just keep her memory alive --and keep talking about her.

We do have some things in common. Even though I'm older (retired and almost 68), when I was living in Texas, my middle son (I have 3 sons and 5 grands) and wife and two daughters moved to TENNESSEE. I thought I was going to die.. BayLee was my first grandchild --and the first girl in the family. I missed them/her so much.

I also have had a weight problem --and can emphasize with you. I had knee surgery recently --after a month of not being able to walk at all. It's been since the first of May (when we were at the beach)--and now that I am better, I CANNOT get my energy back... I need to walk (hubby and I are hikers) --but so far, I just can't... Drives me crazy!!!!

Good Luck with WW and with your treadmill.... Keep me posted...

Nice to have met you.. Thanks for coming to my blog.
Hugs,
Betsy

Sue Ellen said...

Thanks Betsy for you input! And so glad you come visit...yeah, life hurts sometimes...and we just have to keep on don't we! Thanks again!...Sue

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Hey sis....weighted this morning....how discouraging!! Only thing is, I could do something about it...but enjoy eating too much of the "junk" food!! Defintiely need to do some kind of exercise, but just no desire!

Hang in there....beach is 2.5 months away!! Let's both be slim and trim....hey! we can wish, right?!!?

~Beth

Sue Ellen said...

Sis...we PROMISED...another picture on the same bench at Hilton Head....I PRAY I don't look the very same!!!

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

lol...me either!!!! Even though that pic was better than the one of us sitting having our coffee together...I looked like "baby huey"!!!

Sue Ellen said...

LOL!!! WhaT A HOOT Beth! Well, WW paid off for me last night...lost 3 lbs...not 10 like I wanted but 3 lbs is good. Went by Food Lion and looked at 3 lbs of meat...HUGE!!! Made me feel a whole lot better...it was Melissa's idea to do that! So thankful! Luvs, Sue