Sunday, December 26, 2010

HOUSTON...We Have SNOW!

A snow event for us is big news.  We live about 1 hour inland from the North Carolina Coast and it's just not something that happens for us.  Any snow...is big news for us!  We get 1/2 inch and businesses close, schools close...in other words...we SHUT down!  I know that may seem awfully silly to some of you.  But one reason is that we don't have the emergency preparedness  that other locations have.  I guess we do have a salt truck...but not sure I have ever seen one here nor a plow!  Funny I know.  But I have seem many Christmases where we wear shorts and tank tops...yep...hot is our name around here!

When the forecast came that it looked favorable, I like everyone else made sure we had the staples.  But I didn't just go for bread and milk...I planned my snow day menu!  Chili Beans!  Yum...and corn bread muffins!  Last night, we didn't even have the predicted rain by bedtime. I was quite discouraged when I went to bed around 12.  But I awaken around 5-ish and there it was...I had even left the deck light on so I could see if it had been snowing out my bedroom window.  And it had...and it did...and a lot!  Actually, it has snowed all day today.  Sometimes big flakes, some times fine flakes.  But snow.

I have spent much of the day right here on the sofa in a room I call my Sun~Porch.  Most folks would call it a Florida Room I guess...but sun~porch it is.  Anyway, it has 3 walls of glass 1/2 way up.  I love it out here...especially when it snows.  It is heated space, so that is not an issue.  My dog Chloe has enjoyed my being out here as well.  She will get on the top of the sofa and look all around at the snow and such.  It has been very peaceful.  No TV on, no one but me and Chloe in here, and my new laptop! 

Another benefit of snow is snow cream.  Now...I don't know if any of you grew up like I did, but the rule of thumb was NO SNOW CREAM from the first snow of the season!  Well, living where I live, that rule got ditched years ago!  It was believed to have something to do with purifying the air....whatever...I eat it when I get it!  I now add a little Coconut Rum to the mixture and that makes it all the more relaxing & yummy!

My 88 year old father in law lives with us.  Well, I should say we share a house together...because he does so much for us and is not a burden at all.  Very healthy, self sufficient.  But anyway, he was worried about the birds finding food  a while ago.  Gammie, my 3 year departed Mother in law, was a bird lover.  She was always concerned about the little birds.  He mentioned she would be worried if she were here and he was going to get bundled up and go out to give them some bread. So I proceeded to get bread and go out quickly so he would not have to and it would ease his mind.  I have bread everywhere...but haven't seen a bird near it!!!  Oh well...maybe they will get it later this evening.  The dog did have a few pieces when she went out to potty though!

Well...a pure winter wonderland for us.  It is gorgeous.  I  love it.  But maybe that is because I can stay in and not be out in it!  If you have snow, enjoy...if not, then feel free to enjoy my pictures! 

3 comments:

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Thought the snow was beautiful! But so glad we did not have to get out in it....and you know I love your "sun-porch"!!

~Beth

Tammie said...

Beautiful pictures, Sue! BUT ... it looks like all your pictures were taken from inside your warm home. You did get out in it sometime, didn't you? :)

Chloe's cute - Yorkie?

Sue Ellen said...

Absolutely not Tammie!!! Love snow from the inside out! My snow playing days were before my Osteoporosis....don't chance it now!

Chloe is a Shi Tzu/Pomeranian hybrid...she is precious and rotten!