Sunday, January 23, 2011

Do you COLLECT anything???

Through the years, I have seen various items that people collect. I remember when my daughter was young, my Mother-in-law asked me one day what she was going to collect? I had no idea really what she was even talking about. I had not collected anything other than the occasional fads like Trolls or gum wrapper chains....that sort of stuff. Remember them???  But nothing "long-term".



As it turned out, she did find a collection she wanted to collect. She fell in love with the cute Russ collection of Birds: "Tweet Alongs", as they are called. They are so cute and she has a number of them.  I don't think she has added anymore to her collection in a few years.  But they have filled up her curio cabinet!




She told me before Christmas that she had decided she wants to collect Owls now. She had started noticing some artwork and such and had become enamored by them.  And really...there are some CUTE owl stuff out there!  For Christmas, I was able to come across 2 Owl figurines in my thriftings...one that is like a planter that would be perfect for pencils on her desk.  And one I bought at a local shop.  I found a cute scrabble necklace at an etsy shop that has an owl picture on the necklace and is decoupaged.  The cool thing about that is that the flip side of the owl has the same letter as her last name!  And that wasn't even planned!!!

My husband collects pocket knives.  He has hundreds and in fact he sells them as a hobby to feed his obsession!  That's cool with me.  He also collected birds and inherited some from his grandmothers collections.

So...lately I've been thinking...I want to collect something too!  But for the life of me, I can't think of anything!  I really don't want a "fixed" collection.  I want something that I have to search for but is obtainable.  Not something obsolete.  I've thought of frogs, butterflies, Angels...but they just don't "grab" me.

So I am here asking you all....What do you collect???

3 comments:

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

I never have had a passion for collecting.....

But I know some who have collected salt and pepper shakers from all over the country!! Odd shapes and all kinds of sizes! Or even thimbles!

But me...no...that totally goes against my ways!! lol....

~Beth

Jagette said...

I have already told you that I collect all types of Santa's. In fact, I still have the one that was given to me my first Christmas. He was a rattler but is glued back together without his noise makers.

I still collect unique Santa's but I have been trying to get more of the real reason for Christmas in my house. I have several nativity sets, angels and crosses. This year I found a Santa tea pot. His hat is the top, the middle the tea pot and then :) the tea cup is His legs and lower body. I also got a really pretty silver cross with a heart and a nativity in a Christmas tree.

I think you should not set yourself on one thing to collect. Look for unique things like the beautiful sleigh you found. Unusual vases, you know they come in all shapes and sizes. Planters for flowers also come in so many versions and sizes. Look for something different. You will find what it is. Just stay on the lookout and you just might be surprised what shows up.

Sue Ellen said...

Thanks...good ideas. I did have a tea pot collection...well, I still do. But you can only display so many! And funny you mentioned Planters. In looking over my latest "thriftings" I have a number of flower-pots that I had purchased to repot some plants....maybe that is where I am headed! And, I am reminded that I too have a Father Christmas and Snowman Collection but truly is seasonal. Hmmm,...maybe I do COLLECT after all!