Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Daddy Was A Veteran!

Happy Veteran's Day!
 
This is a picture of my Daddy.  

This photo was taken during his active service in the United States Navy.  He served and fought in WWII.  He looked so young.  But he was in his early 20's.  He had become the "Papa Rabbit" after his Daddy died when my father was only 17 years old.  He had to look after the family along with my Grandmother.  She never remarried.  Until daddy's death, his siblings looked to him as they would to a father for guidance.  So, Daddy had lived a "life" already.  Then he was in the Navy. 
It was during this time that  he felt the call to the Ministry.  After his discharge from the Navy, he returned home to the Rockingham area of North Carolina and set about enrolling at Wingate College where he obtained his BS degree and then finished his seminary training at Southeastern Theological and Luther Rice Theological Seminaries....all while making a family.  A hard time, a hard life, but that was my Daddy.  He was made of sturdy stuff!  That whole generation was.  It amazes me. 

I was, or course, not born.  After all, I am the baby of 4 children.  But I heard the stories of Daddy back in the day.  I heard Mother talk about the struggles they went through and she went through during those times.  Perseverance.

Daddy died of Cancer in 1993 after serving many, many years as a Southern Baptist Preacher.  Many lives were changed due to his obedience to God.  Including mine.

My Daddy was a mighty man of God.  He served his country, his family and his God well.
Thank You Daddy for your commitment.  I thank God I was privileged to be your baby girl. 

Happy Veteran's Day Daddy...



No comments: