Wednesday, June 9, 2010

2 Weeks Ago...8:46a.m.

Two weeks ago, at this minute, I got the call from Beth (get her link)that Mother was unresponsive. 

It had started out as an ordinary day for Mother...according to the staff of the assisted living.  I can imagine her up with her morning routine...bathing, dressing...cleaning with a dust cloth of some fashion in her hand...not sure what was going through her mind these last days.  She had become obsessed with cleaning.  Actually, always was, but used a normal balance with life.  But here lately, it was the number one thing on her mind.  Consuming.   I think it was because it was the only thing in her little life that she could control the outcome of.  Add to that the fact that Mother enjoyed cleaning. 

Wonder if she knew she was dying?  Wonder if she had glimpses of heaven?  Wonder if she saw family members passed?  I feel sure she heard us rallying around her...talking tenderly to her, loving her, telling her it was ok to go be with Jesus....ushering her into heaven.

Death is an amazing event under natural circumstances.  Don't think I'm morbid please.  I am a great respecter of Life.  Being a nurse, and being a Hospice Nurse, I've seen many deaths.  I've "pronounced" their deaths in their homes and called the funeral home to come.  I've seen the end of life come many times.  I've given training on the end of life care and end of life decisions.  I've seen the clinical side many times.  I've also seen the loving side too.  Daddy...now Mother.  Being in attendance to share those last minutes of life....I'm thankful God allowed me to be there.  A great memory of being in attendance with them at the end of their lives, knowing they were in attendance with me in the beginning of mine...special bonding.

When I got home from Mother's funeral, I read the "90 minutes in Heaven Book".  It gave me reassurance of what Mother experienced.  It was a great comfort.  I would say Mother is "dusting" in heaven...but I'm sure she is at peace...and there is NO DUST!

Just 2 weeks ago, Mother was alive, walking, talking...that could have been the same of any of us.  She died unexpectedly, yet expected.  At any given time, I expected the call.  Then it came.

About a week prior...my cell phone rang...I saw it was Beth's home number...I became ALERT..."Hey Sis" I said.  Mother said "Hello Susie".   I was stunned.  Mother had Beth to dial my number.  It was only about a 30 second conversation...Mother talked, I listened.  She said, "I just wanted to tell you I loved you, and you know I always have".  I assured her I did indeed and that I loved her as well.  When she hung up the phone, I sobbed.  I thought she was going to die that night.  It was the last time I talked with her. 

God, our heavenly Father, has a way of showing us such love and compassion when we least expect it.  How very much he loves us....and always has. 

2 comments:

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Sue, I remember the night mother told me she wanted to call you...I too felt maybe she knew something we didn't, that maybe it would be her last time talking to you....

I sit here crying, knowing those last moments will always be so precious to us, both with daddy and with mother. God was merciful...to all of us!

Love you sis!

~Beth

Beth in NC said...

I am crying and can't see to type. I am so sorry. I have been reading through Beth's struggles tending to her Mom at home. I was so sad when she had to go to a facility because I know how much my parents are fighting that too.

I am so sorry.

Bless you and your family.
Beth